Author: Ja-Mel Vinson
Publication Date: March 19th 2019
Genre: NA, Science Fiction, Fantasy
(Giveaway at the end of the post!)
The day before moving into her new dorm, college freshman, Maya Lilac, has a haunting dream that ends with her coming face-to-face with a second version of herself. After being haunted by the dream during move-in day, she finally comes in contact with her double, nicknamed “Lucent”, and learns that she actually has powers and can—among other things—make her dreams come true.
Maya’s heritage, however, runs deeper when she discovers that she’s the True Dreamer, a person reaching back as far as Joan of Arc that’s tasked with protecting her species, as well as the world, from any and all threats… including her seemingly-peaceful and non-combative double. But, not everyone shares Maya’s vision that her clone isn’t out to harm anybody, especially her mother. As Maya and her mother fight over whether Lucent is a legitimate threat, Maya trains in her now-active powers to fulfill her destiny of protecting the world, whether she has to take care of Lucent or not.
Connect with the Author!
Erica talks about books
Hiya people! Welcome to my tour stop of Dreamer by Ja-Mel Vinson! This tour was organized by the wonderful Shealea @ Shut Up, Shealea.
For my stop, I wanted to do something new. First of all, the synopsis of the book talks about Maya, a True Dreamer blessed with different abilities. One of them though is that their dreams come true.
My dreams can come true too, but I can’t really control what happens.
I don’t know if it’s an exciting or terrifying thing. Maybe a mixture of both? But here’s a few dreams of mine that I can still remember.
- A freaky zombie apocalypse. This is a bit crazy. One moment I was by myself, the next I was in another place with my high school classmates. We were literally stepping on cars carrying different weapons (can’t remember mine). I think I dreamt of this after I watched the movie, Train to Busan. One thing’s for sure, I wouldn’t want this dream to come true.
2. There’s this one time when I was younger. In my dreams, I was gifted with a new mobile phone! I was extremely happy and I can remember putting it on my bedside table before going to sleep. I woke up with no new phone of course. And I also don’t have a bedside table, LMAO. I literally looked for a table when I woke up and was so disappointed because I really wanted a new phone at that time.
3. One of my unforgettable dreams. My very own version of The Bird Box. It follows a similar storyline in the movie but in my dreams, I was with my Mom and sister. I was so scared and creeped out. I think it ended with the three of us opening our eyes at the same time and hoping our love for each other would keep us sane. Pretty sweet? Well, in some way. But I swear I tried so hard to forget all about it before going to sleep again (which took a while).
Okay, enough with the creepy stuff. Dreamer features the story of Maya, who came from a family of True Dreamers. Reading about her learning to use her powers was a really enjoyable scene for me. In fact, whenever she uses the powers of a True Dreamer, I feel giddy and want to see what happens next. Whenever I read that she had fallen asleep, I know something would be happening in her dreams.
It’s quite amazing and can be a really enjoyable ability if your dreams can come true but imagine the responsibility! You can’t joke around and play with stuff. Imagine that you’re in a dream and you wanted to pet a unicorn! I’m pretty sure people will be shocked once they see the magical creature. But I know I’ll be petting it!
While the book talks about dreams that come true, it also features different kinds of magic and introduces other elements (*whispers* there are angels!) It also features a whole new world created by the author.
Aesthetic mood board
I must say, I’ve been enjoying creating aesthetic mood boards lately and upon reading Dreamer, I was also able to create one for it!
Prize: One (1) signed ARC of Dreamer by Ja-mel Vinson
Scope: Open worldwide/internationallya Rafflecopter giveaway https://widget-prime.rafflecopter.com/launch.js
Direct Link to Rafflecopter giveaway.
Dreamer Twitter Chat
Hi! I’m inviting y’all to join us this coming March 2nd for the the Dreamer Twitter Chat! Everyone’s invited!
Follow the Tour!
- Have you read this book before? Or are you planning to? Tell me what you think of it!
- If your dreams would come true, what will you do?
- What are your most unforgettable dreams?
- What did you think of the aesthetic mood board?